Hi,

At the University of Plymouth, we are carrying out a review of how we
record material from off-air sources - we call this OARS (Off-Air
Recording Service). At the moment, it is done in-house with a
dedicated member of staff supplying material for all four sites; only
the four terrestrial channels are use under the ERA (Educational
Recording Agency) licence.

With the forthcoming changes likely to affect off-air recording ie
the effect of digital TV, I would be grateful if relevant people
could answer the following questions and return to me at:

I will summarise answers for the list.

The review group would be very interested and grateful for the
following information:

1a. Does your institution provide an off-air recording service?

If so,
2a. How long has this been in operation?
2b. Is this done in-house?
2c. By external contract?
2d. By combination of 2b/2c?
2e. If done in-house, is it by dedicated staff and what is their
designation?  Eg, technician, information assistant, etc.
2f. If by external contract, the average cost per recording?
2g. Where is the service based structurally and physically
within your institution? [Eg, do Production Services (if have these)
carry out the operation? Or is it based within an Audio-Visual
service?]

3. Do you have an ERA licence scheme in operation?

4a. If you record in-house?
4b. Do you use VHS?
4c. Or another system?
4d. Are recordings set up in advance?
4e. Or are recordings made at time of transmission?
4f. Do you bill (make a charge) to the requesting dept/customer for
tapes etc?
4g. If not, who carries the cost of the service?

5. Are you affected by any copyright issues with an off-air
recording service?

6a. Where are the final recordings stored?
6b. Are these recordings available for both staff and students?
6c. Are the recordings placed under the Dewey or other catalogue
protocol?
6d. Do you assess how often tapes are used?
6e. Do you cull recordings from time to time?
6f. If so, are the tapes re-used? Or are they disposed?

7.Any comments, other information you feel may be helpful:

Thank you for your time.

My email is:

Regards from:

Clive Anscott
University of Plymouth
Senior Media Technician
Douglas Avenue
Exmouth
Devon
United Kingdom
EX8 2AT.

Tel:  (01395)  25 5356

Ann Armstrong, Senior Subject Librarian (Education),
Information & Learning Services, University of Plymouth,
Douglas Avenue, Exmouth, EX8 2AT
Tel: 01395 255346  E-mail: [log in to unmask]