In the message I sent round about this conference yesterday there was a
slight problem with the URL given for the programme - now sorted. The
correct URL for the programme is
http://www.swan.ac.uk/lis/uc&rwales/eng/barriers.htm and it's also pasted
below together with the rest of the booking details. Thanks to all who
pointed out the problem and I look forward to getting your booking forms by
7 June at the latest. Apologies for any inconvenience.

Lis Parcell
Meetings Secretary
Welsh UC&R
http://www.swan.ac.uk/lis/uc&rwales/

UC&R Wales Summer conference: Breaking down the barriers: exploring
practical solutions to support disabled customers in academic libraries
(plus AGM).
Tuesday 19 June 2001, UWIC (Cyncoed Campus), Cardiff
This year's UCR Wales summer conference follows the success of last year's
event, focussing again on practical ways to address issues of topical
interest to LIS professionals in Wales, and bringing you up to date with key
developments.
This year we look at services to disabled customers. The day will use a mix
of speakers and workshops to stimulate the exchange of good practice between
service providers, service users, academic staff and disability
coordinators. The day is aimed primarily at staff in academic libraries (HE
or FE) but all are welcome.
Participants will be able to:
*       Update themselves on recent changes in legislation and new services
*       Learn more about disabled customer needs
*       Exchange ideas on good practice

Programme
10.00-10.30 Registration and coffee
10.30-10.35 Welcome and Introduction to the day
10.35-11.20 Keynote paper (Fran Tate, Student Services Coordinator,
University of Wales Bangor)
11.20-11.40 A view from Information Services: Writing a Disability Provision
Development Plan at NEWI (Paul Jeorrett, Information and Student Services,
NEWI)
11.40-12.15 How we disable students: an anti-discriminatory perspective
(Diane Keetch, Manchester Metropolitan University)
12.15-12.45 The student perspective (speakers to be confirmed)
12.45-1.00 AGM
1.00-1.45 Lunch
1.45-2.30 Choice of three workshops looking at case studies of good practice
from a Welsh institution as a starting point for discussion, leading to
action plans to take away. (Presenters Paul Jeorrett (NEWI), Sue Miller
(Special Needs Librarian, University of Wales Swansea) and Rhun ap Harri
(Disability Officer, University of Wales Aberystwyth.
2.30-3.00 Electronic solutions: TECHDIS (Dave McCarthy and Allan Sutherland,
TECHDIS)
3.00-3.30 Regional collaboration: the CLAUDINE project (Sandra Jones,
CLAUDINE)
3.30-3.45 Tea
3.45-4.15 Round up of the day, questions, action plans to take away.

For any updates to the programme check
http://www.swan.ac.uk/lis/uc&rwales/eng/barriers.htm . You can print off a
booking form from the site, or complete the email booking form below and
return it to Lis Parcell [log in to unmask] DEADLINE FOR BOOKINGS
THURSDAY 7 JUNE 2001 so book NOW to ensure a place. Special rates for LA
members, students and unwaged plus one free place for a chartership
candidate - details below.

**************

Breaking down the barriers: exploring practical solutions to support
disabled customers in academic libraries. UWIC, 19 June 2001.
1) Name:
2) Job title:
3) Institution:
4) Address:
5) Email:
I am happy for my email address to be included on the list of attendees for
the information of other participants YES/NO (please delete as applicable)
7) Tel No:
8) Please enter here how you prefer your name and institution to appear on
your conference badge:
9) Any special requirements for catering:
10) Any special access requirements (please note venue has full disabled
access):
11) We will do our best to provide handouts etc in alternative formats for
those with visual impairment. Please give details if we can help you in this
way:
12) Booking requirements
Please indicate which of the following applies to you. All prices include
VAT.
        a) Conference only - LA member £39.00
        b) Conference plus overnight accommodation - LA member £62.00
        c) Conference only - non member £55.00
        d) Conference plus overnight accommodation - non member 78.00
        e) Student/unwaged - FREE
        f) I am a chartership candidate and would like to apply for a free
place on condition I produce a write up for publication in a suitable
journal eg Relay, Y Ddolen and on the UC&R Wales website.
13) Payment
Please indicate which of the following payment options applies to you:
I enclose a cheque payable to LA UC&R Welsh Section
OR
Please invoice my institution. Name and address for invoicing if different
from above:
Please note that if you cancel after 7 June you will forfeit your payment.
14) If you are attending as an LA member it will avoid delays in your
booking if you quote your LA membership number on this form. It appears in
the LA handbook (copy in most libraries) and on your membership card):

Lis Parcell
Meeting secretary, UC&R Wales
Library and Information Services
University of Wales Swansea