Dear Mary - The velobinding machine is a Gestetner VeloBind 161.  The
method of securing the papers together is quite durable but if the copy
becomes tatty the plastic strip can be undone and a new one put on.  We
have used this method for years and have found it very successful.
best wishes
Heather
Heather L.Bailey
User Services Librarian