Dear Helen et al,

Interesting query. I had never considered ICT as a purely Internet-based
field. As I understand it, the phrase encompasses anything that involves the
digital processing, storage or delivery of data. The Internet is one example
of a structure that consists of both hard and software and the protocols
that enable different arrangements of these to interact. The information
part of ICT covers non-Internet based (or at least not necessarily
Internet-based) applications such as a library OPAC or catalogue, while the
communications part refers to the various technologies that enable the
transmission and receipt of that information between remote locations. The
technology part of ICT refers to the physical components, from processors to
cables to infra-red or shortwave radio transmitters and receivers that act
as a vehicle for the data.

Hope that helps!

Yours sincerely,

Nick Poole
ICT Adviser
Resource: The Council for Museums, Archives and Libraries
Fifth Floor, 19-29 Woburn Place London WC1H 0LU
email: [log in to unmask]  tel: 020 7273 8757
http://www.resource.gov.uk
http://www.peoplesnetwork.gov.uk

Join the Resourcenews mailing list at
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/resourcenews.html