From: Fytton Rowland [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, April 27, 2001 1:49 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: definition of ICT

Not an answer to Helen's question, I'm afraid, but another question.

I first met "ICT" in  the Dearing report -- until then, plain old "IT" was
the acronym generally used.  I believed "ICT" to stand for "information and
communications technology", but recently I was marking some student work
that expanded it to "information, communications and technology", a
definition so broad that it might include almost everything in the modern
world!  Does anyone know whether the definition of the term "ICT" has been
expanded to this latter one, or was it just a student error?

Fytton Rowland.

At 01:32 PM 4/27/01 +0100, you wrote:
>I'm doing a dissertation, on the impact of ICT on mobile library
>service provision and use, and am looking for an authoritative
>definition of ICT which does not focus on the Internet solely.  If
>anyone has any suggestions could they please email me at the
>following address

>Thanks
>Helen Towers
>email: [log in to unmask]
>Department of Information Studies
>University of Sheffield
>Western Bank
>Sheffield
>S10 2TN
>UK

Fytton Rowland, M.A., Ph.D., F.I.Inf.Sc., Lecturer,
Deputy Director of Undergraduate Programmes and
Programme Tutor for Publishing with English,
Department of Information Science,
Loughborough University,
Loughborough, Leics LE11 3TU, UK.

Phone +44 (0) 1509 223039   Fax +44 (0) 1509 223053
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
http://info.lboro.ac.uk/departments/ls/staff/frowland.html