We are looking at replacing our present system for controlling printing
and photocopying. At present we use a rechargeable Emos card which is
used for both. We would be interested in the experience of other sites,
especially in the following areas:

Ideally we want an integrated single system to control both printing and
copying. It could be a card solution or it could be software-based

We will probably be in a position to use student ID cards if
appropriate, but are they robust enough to take all the  extra handling?

We need a solution that can be applied in other departments, not just
within Library & Info Services

We don't want the printers to have to be modified physically.

The thought of networked photocopiers sounds rather scary: has anyone
ventured into this?

We suspect that we would be better off avoiding a solution that involved
the use of credit cards, because of the commission.

We are prepared to count cash, but obviously the less the better.

We haven't got to the point of using electronic purses yet, so
Mondex-type solutions are not the answer here.

We know about PCounter, but would be interested in the experiences of
others, good or bad.

Alternatives to Emos: we know about Absec, but who else is there
offering this type of product?

Thoughts, suggestions and experience would be welcome

Paul Reynolds

Paul Reynolds
Head of Bibliographic Services
Library & Information Services