**This message posted on behalf of a colleague. Please reply directly
to [log in to unmask] and not to me or the list. Thanks**

Here at the University of Birmingham we use ATHENS to authenticate
many of our electronic services. Presently users sign up for their
username and password as and when the need arises. While this has
worked well in the past it has become obvious that more and more
users are requesting ATHENS passwords.

It has been suggested that we gather signatures for the neccessary
copyright declaration when the student first agrees to attend the
university (they already sign for a number of things in this way). The
documentation containing the username and password could then be sent
out to all registered new students as part of their welcome induction
pack.

We would still need to pick up member of staff and those that
lose/forgot their passwords.

Has any institution gone down this route or similar? If so did it
have the impact on your service points that you'd hoped? Are there
any licence or other implications we should be aware of?

Any comments would be appreciated. If anyone's interested we would of
course be glad to summarise for the list.

Thanks for your time,

Carl Cross.
Science & Engineering.
Main Library.