Dear all,

We are currently reviewing our policy on debt recovery/overdue letters with
the aim of improving our recovery of books and fines.  We do of course have
internal sanctions procedures that stop students borrowing books/using
computing facilities if they have books or fines outstanding.  In terms of
chasing up unreturned items we send out 4 (fairly nice!) reminder letters
with no further action then being taken.  We are now considering employing
a debt collection agency to send out a final letter as well as reducing the
number of letters we send to just 2.

I would be interested to know what other colleges are doing to recover
books and collect fines.  I would be particularly interested to hear from
other colleges using debt collection agencies and whether they find this
financially viable.

Please e-mail me directly and I shall summarise for the list.

Many thanks
Hannah Laycock
Service Centre Manager (FLEX)
Newham College of Further Education