I'm not certain if this is a common practice but where I worked previously
to my current job we had evac chairs in the Library.  We were on the 5th
floor of a 11 floor tower block so the chair was placed there as being in
the middle of the building.  All members of staff were under strict
instructions that no matter what the situation we were not to use the chair
in the event of an emergency as a trained member of security/caretaking was,
as part of the evacuation procedure, sent to assist any students with
mobility problems starting at the top of the building and then working down.

I could be wrong, but I think under Health and Safety legislation without
the proper training an employer would be seriously liable for any injury
caused to both the member of staff and the customer.

It doesn't solve the problem about the morality of not assisting though!

Tom
---
Tom Butler
Acquisitions Librarian
West Thames College
London Road
Isleworth
Middlesex
TW7 4HS

020 8326 2282

If you are not the addressee indicated in this message (or responsible for
message to anyone. In such cases, you should destroy this message, and
notify us immediately. If you or your employer does not consent to Internet
email messages of this kind, please advise us immediately.

Opinions, conclusions and other information expressed in this message are
not given or endorsed by my firm or employer unless otherwise indicated by
an authorised representative independent of this message.