Charles,
        I am sending this message to the list to stop thousands
of people doing the same experiments as myself.

I created a simple file with a few words and found that Tools->
Word Count, Number of words in ...readibility and
File->Properties->Statistics all reported the same count.
However, when I key in something strange like h;g Tools->Word
Count reports 1. With spelling etc. I am asked if I wish to
change h;g to which I hit Ignore but I am then asked if I wish
to change h; g (space added) and when I hit Ignore a count of 2
is reported.

I am afraid that I do not have a complete answer to your problem
but it appears to relate to punctuation (and option settings?)
and it is not possible to state with certainty which statistics
are correct.

Jim

On Thu, 11 Oct 2001 15:37:09 +0000 Charles Oppenheim
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> MS Word offers two facilities: word count;  and
> spelling/grammar/readability statistics.  A student of mine has drawn my
> attention to the fact that for any given piece of text that is subjected to
> such functions, the "count" under "Word count" is different from the
> "number of words" in the  "spelling/grammar/readability" report.  There is
> no consistency - sometimes it's the "Word count" that is larger, sometimes
> it's the "number of words" in the grammar that is bigger.  These two
> figures are never identical.
>
> Can anyone offer a possible explanation for this intriguing result?
>
> Charles
>
> Professor Charles Oppenheim
> Dept of Information Science
> Loughborough University