The recently launched BLPC, the replacement to the popular OPAC 97 service
has now been up and running for over 30 hours. During this time a number of
problems have arisen that did not become apparent during testing, mainly
concerned with application errors and server loading. We have now found
solutions that we hope will resolve the majority of access problems
experienced by our users.

As with any new service, we expect to make changes to the service in
response to feedback received. It is clear that the help pages do not fully
explain the functionality of the boolean searching offered by Advanced
Search. However, we do feel that offering 'And', 'Or' and 'And Not' together
with any combination of search criteria does offer the user a wide variety
of options. It is also possible to use a phrase in the search boxes to help
widen the search further.

As Leonard correctly points out, the subject indexing on British Library
files is inconsistent, and as such, many files automatically search MARC
title fields during a subject search. This is again, a matter of providing
more detailed help.

BLPC is intended to duplicate the functionality of OPAC 97, and therefore
does not offer the facility to date range. However, we intend to build upon
the levels of functionality currently offered and develop BLPC to provide
the level of services and functions that users can expect from the UK
national library.

We would like to thank our users for bearing with us during the initial
teething problems we are going through, and hope to resume 'normal services'
as soon as possible.

Regards

John Lowery

Research and Development Officer
British Library Product Development
British Library
Boston Spa
Wetherby
West Yorkshire
LS23 7BQ
UK

Tel: +44 (0) 1937 546551
Fax: +44 (0) 1937 546586

 In message <[log in to unmask]> on Tue, 30 Jan
2001, Ann Lees <[log in to unmask]> wrote
>Dear lis-linkers
>In case you don't spot it in the national press - the long awaited
>new online catalogue of the British Library Collections is now
>available at
>http://blpc.bl.uk/

I've tried this out and, despite what other people have said, didn't
find it significantly slower than other catalogues of large libraries.

Some immediate impressions:

Good:
1. It uses the full width of the screen or window, and is not limited to
the left-hand 800 pixels like so many sites that use fixed widths.

2. It is possible to search across all catalogues at once.

Not so good:
1. The advanced search screen is a bit like a crossword to fill in, with
the number of terms restricted to six and awkward restrictions on the
ways in which they can be combined - I doubt if people will be able to
work out the effect of the drop-down Boolean boxes in many cases. It's
unfortunate that they did not give us a free-text box as a
"professional" interface into which we could enter any Boolean
combination with parentheses and field indicators as required. Perhaps
that can be added later...

2. There is an option to search by "subject" but no indication of what
fields this searches. There is a warning that subject indexing is
inconsistent, for understandable historical reasons, but no option to
search for text words in "subject and title together", or "anywhere in
the record". It is therefore difficult to know what a search has covered
and whether it has to be repeated, first for "subject" and then for
"title".

3. There is no information on how to search for ranges of dates.

Leonard Will
--
Willpower Information       (Partners: Dr Leonard D Will, Sheena E Will)
Information Management Consultants              Tel: +44 (0)20 8372 0092