From: Jennifer Drury [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, November 16, 2001 3:43 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Dissertation on the Role of the Information Professional in user education

Cathy and the list

In response to the message below, I thought I would add the perspective of the "old" universities.  I don't agree with Chris that librarians in old universities do less training than in new universities.  Also, librarians are not paid as academics at Nottingham and I don't believe that librarians in most if not all old universities would be paid on the same scale as academics.

Since the beginning of term, 6 weeks ago, we have virtually done nothing else but provide user education sessions for the new intake of students, with more training timetabled for the New Year, March and September next year.

I am obviously only talking from my own experience, but I think Chris is misrepresenting the amount of teaching and training that librarians in old Universities undertake.

I only wish that I was paid as an Academic, life would be so much better!

Jenny

Jenny Drury
Assistant Librarian
Greenfield Medical Library
University of Nottingham
Queen's Medical Centre
Nottingham
NG7 2UH

Tel: (0115) 9709441
Tel: ext. 44070
Email: [log in to unmask]k

>>> [log in to unmask] 11/16/01 02:00pm >>>
Cathy,

I'd be happy to fil in your questionnaire if you like.

I think the issue is probably nearly redundant in the new university/Colege
sector (increasing integration into courses, ILT membership, librarians
taking part in PG Teaching courses with academic colleagues etc) but not in
the old universities.  I think the biggest issue for me in the 'new' sector
is pay.  In the old universities they are paid as academics but don't do
much teaching (there are exceptions) but in the new ones where they do
teach, they are often not paid as such.

cheers

Chris Powis