Any help/comments/corrections would be welcome.

We're currently asking some departments to cancel some of their journals due
to budget reductions. We send them a list of the titles for which their
allocation from the library budget pays for a print sub.

Question from one department?

Can they save any money (ie from their allocation) by cancelling any of the
print subs. and substituting e-only subs.(site-wide)?

My quick reply is to say no, or maybe a little.

This is a list of 38 titles from a variety of publishers. To get detailed,
accurate information on each title from each publisher would be very
time-consuming. (Worse if all departments ask the same question).

My summary of the situation would be as follows:

Most publishers do not allow e-only subs. If they do, they charge 90% or
more for e-only. Presumably, VAT must be added on to this figure taking the
price over the print price?

A straight comparison may be difficult as print subs may already be
discounted to some extent by suppliers?

If the title is part of a (NESLI) deal that we currently subscribe to, then
cancellation of the print may affect the whole deal. Ditto any future deal
that we may be considering for next year. We currently only subscribe to the
BlacKwell Science NESLI deal.

Of course, on a wider view, there are other considerations - archive and
continued access, library storage space, staff resources in processing
printed stock, etc, etc.

The publishers involved are:

Academic Press
Elsevier Science
Amer. Ass. of Physics Teachers
Springer
Amer Inst Phys.
EDP Sciences
Inst of Phys
Roy Soc of Chem
Wiley
Kluwer
Munksgaard (title is not part of BS deal)
and various other small physics-related societies/publishers.

Can of worms?

Sandra Morris
Electronic Information Development Officer
Hugh Owen Library
Information Services,
University of Wales, Aberystwyth,                     Penglais Campus,
Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, SY23 3DZ
Email: [log in to unmask]
Extension: 1892   Phone: (01970) 621892   FAX: (01970) 622404