Hi,

The answer is yes!

We have just signed an institutional license to Science and have just run
into a similar problem where one of our researchers wanted to access the
full text of an article of interest to him which he found doing an author
search on Science, however when he tried to access the full text he was
denied access. At first I thought that there was a problem with our
subscription, but I have since found that even though we have an
institutional license that does not entitle us to all the goodies offered by
Science - one of the those goodies is that Science Express articles i.e.
full text articles accepted for future publication are only available to
AAAS members. It just so happened that this researcher had found a Science
Express article. He will know better next time and so will I!!

The full breakdown of who is entitled to what can be found at the following
page:

It does seem disappointing that having paid a hefty sum for an institutional
license that institutions are being restricted from having access to advance
publications. This is surely one of the benefits of online publications. It
certainly caused some disbelief from this particular researcher who having
found a highly relevant article by searching Science to then be denied
access. He now has to wait until the article is formerly published before he
can access it. This is certainly not what a researcher wants to hear. I
can't say that I was impressed either.

It does illustrate the increasing complexity in promoting institutional
subscriptions to our users, when there are such exclusions in what you can
expect to be able access.

Finally our researcher did of course have the opportunity to pay for the
article - a $5.00 charge, but he resented having to do so when his
institution had an institutional license.

Cheers
Lesley
Lesley Crawshaw, Faculty Information Consultant, LIS,
University of Hertfordshire, Hatfield, AL10 9AB UK
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
phone:  01707 284662      fax: 01707 284666
web: http://www.herts.ac.uk/lis/subjects/natsci/ejournal/