>Kirsty/David,
>
>None of this explains why ingenta collects personal information BEFORE
>informing the user of the cost of the transaction - why does ingenta do
>this?
>
>Regards,
>
>John Smith,
>University of Kent at Canterbury.

..and indeed, does not answer my point that this collection of data is
contrary to the Data Protection Principles.  I would be grateful if David
or anyone else from ingenta could explain how ingenta can justify
collecting personal data BEFORE any transaction is contemplated.

I recommend that John or others write to the Information Commissioner, with
a cc: to ingenta, asking her to invesitgate ingenta's current practices.
From my own experience, the merest whiff of an inquiry from the Information
Commissioner is usually enough to get a company to change its ways. The
Information Commissioner cannot act unless she receives a formal complaint.
As I am not an ingenta user, there's no point in me making the complaint,
but I will gladly advise anyone thinking of following my suggestion up
regarding what wording to put into the letter.

Professor Charles Oppenheim
Dept of Information Science
Loughborough University
Loughborough