Apologies for cross posting -

Please reply to [log in to unmask] for more information

INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON SPACING & TIMING: Rethinking globalization &
standardization
Palermo, Italy: 1st– 3rd November 2001

Conference Committee: BRUNO LATOUR, ANTHONY HOPWOOD, NIGEL THRIFT

CALL for PAPERS

This conference seeks to bring together academics from different
disciplinary domains to discuss two of the key resources and creations of
organizations: space and time. Rather than taking space and time as a
normal feature of an organization existing per se, the conference aims to
examine them as achievements which require many practical tools,
technologies and practices to exist and be sustained. Hence the verb forms:
spacing and timing.

We welcome papers and extended abstracts which seek to explore the
theoretical and empirical issues related to the above themes from a wide
range of disciplines and approaches. The following issues provide an
indication of some of the topics you may wish to examine:

- The fabrication of multiple times, spaces, and actants, and the role of
inscriptions and standardised practices in this process of fabrication.

- The maintenance of certain standards and constants and their role in
creating current notions of space and time (e.g. the delegation of
measurement and categorization to different forms of instrumentation).

- The role of practical tools in achieving organizations, and in particular
how different ‘spacings’ are achieved and how faster ‘timings’ are
produced.

- The desire to achieve transportation of information, without deformation.

- Globalisation and notions of space and time within our ‘networked’
society.

Relevant dates:
July 20th: Papers/Extended abstracts submitted
August 6th: Notification of Acceptance
October 6th: Submission of Final Papers

Speakers:
Gibson Burrell; Barbara Czarniawska, Wai Fong Chua; Francois Cooren; Niels
Viggo Hansen; Keith Hoskin; Jan Mouritsen & Isabelle Stengers have all
expressed a keen interest in attending and participating in the conference.

- For further details view our web page:
http://www.emp.uc3m.es/~quattron/conference/home.html

or send  enquiries to [log in to unmask]