Re: Northeast Tectonics (NET) Theme Session and Workshop on 11/13/01 14:13, Michael Williams at [log in to unmask] wrote:

First Annual Northeast Tectonics (NET) Theme Session and Workshop.

The Northeastern Section Meeting of the Geological Society of America will be held in Springfield Massachusetts.  At the meeting, we will convene what we hope will become an annual event, the NE Tectonics (NET) Theme Session and Discussion.  The first NET Theme Session will be convened by Scott Johnson (U. Maine) and Mike Williams (U. Mass), and is entitled: Paleozoic Tectonics of the Northern Appalachian Mountains: New Insights and Persistent Problems; First Annual NETectonics Symposium. The session will have oral, and poster components, and we are hoping to combine the poster and oral presentations in the same room.  Several discussion periods will be included in the full-day session.  Our goal is to focus attention on new approaches and new developments related to the tectonics of New England and the northern Appalachian region in general, so please prepare any contribution accordingly.  If there is enough interest, we hope to publish a special volume with papers from the session.  The session will culminate in an invited keynote talk (speaker to be announced), followed by the NET annual meeting and reception.  Please consider submitting an abstract and participating in this session.  Contact the conveners if you have any questions. The abstract deadline is December 18, 2001.

Conveners:

Mike Williams
Scott Johnson

Michael L. Williams
Department of Geosciences
University of Massachusetts
611 North Pleasant Street
Amherst, MA 01003-9297
Ph: 413-545-0745
Fax: 413-545-1200

Hi again,

Glad to hear of this effort.  I will definitely submit an abstract.

Craig