Ah, nomenclature...

        Since I guess I started this, first I should point out that in no way did I intend to 'accuse' Anthi of misusing terms, I just thought some potential for ambiguity might exist; I fully realize Anthi did not refer to the rocks as being amphibolite *facies*. Judging by subsequent responses, I may actually have been correct...  I responded because I have dealt with this terminology problem myself, so just wanted to add a point of clarification; frankly, I really think the ensuing discussion is valuable.  As everyone on here certainly understands, although the rocks are 'amphibolites', the *assemblage* may not indicate the amphibolite *facies*.  Thanks very much for your information, Anthi and everyone else; this kind of discussion seems useful toward achieving some agreement on how to approach the issue of separating the rock-type terminology from the metamorphic assemblage/facies terminology.

Although this may be something of a cop out, in discussing 'amphibolites' [amphibole+plag dominated rocks] that contain the diagnostic granulite-facies assemblage [cpx+opx], in many cases I default to '2-pyroxene amphibolitic rocks', in an attempt to circumvent the possible misimpression that the assemblages are amphibolite facies, rather than granulite facies.  Though it is a bit awkward, I'm not certain I've seen a term I prefer [including here].  'Metabasites' I sometimes use in verbal discussion, but that leaves out other textural connotations that come along with 'amphibolite' [e.g., vs. metagabbro].  My only objection to 'pyroxene amphibolite' might be that it does not specify the diagnostic TWO-pyroxene assemblage.  I have no problem with, and sometimes use, '2-pyroxene amphibolite', though [so far] not in publications.  Finally, to be honest, in the field I just call them amphibolites.

        Hopefully I have not confused anything or anyone further.  Sorry for opening the can o' worms, but thanks again for the lively exchange.

At 11:17 AM 11/2/2001, Tomas Feininger wrote:
>                                               2.x.'01
>
>Tom, Eric and others,
>
>       What's wrong with the term 'pyroxene amphibolite'?  I've used it in publications and never been called to task...
>
>                                               Tomas Feininger
>                                               Geologist & Prof
>                                               Université Laval.

Best Regards,

JIM ECKERT
James O. Eckert, Jr., Ph.D
Department of Geology and Geophysics, Yale University