All,
   Oriented rutile needles are common in garnets from both granulites and
eclogites.  However, there is no easy way to show that they "exsolved"
(=unmixed), even though this is widely assumed.   A second question is how
minor Ti substitutes in garnet, and this too is not well established for
Ca-poor garnets.  Almandine has difficulty in exsolving rutile because
garnet is R2O3 and rutile is RO2 (with minor ROOH).  Only if the initial
garnet has cation vacancies, Fe2+ becomes partially oxidized during rutile
growth, or if some Ti is 3+, can rutile by itself form from garnet.   We
need experiments on garnet-rutile.
eric

Eric Essene
Professor of Geology