TO ALL GEM MEMBERS

It has come to my notice that some copies of the most recent GEM News have been sent out to institutional members with inadequate postage and that the Post Office is asking for an extra 10p plus 50p handling.

This has come about because the GSO was incorrectly informed by the Post Office, after weighing the envelopes, of the amount to be placed on them.  Instead of returning the envelopes concerned to the GSO, the Post Office chose to surchage them instead!

We apologise for the extra cost which members have incurred but perhaps more importantly for the bother and time spent collecting the News from the Post Office.  However, one member who rang to let me know what had happened did inform me that the News was well worth the extra effort!

Invoices for renewal of membership for 2002 also went out in the latest mailing with GEM News 83, please let the GSO know if you do not receive your invoice.

We are in principle prepared to reimburse members for the cost of the extra postage although we recognise that this will be heavily outweighed by the effort and cost of claiming.

Once again, please accept my apologies - next time I shall doublecheck the Post Office's calculations.

John Stevenson
GEM Support Office
Primrose House
193 Gillingham Road