An Introduction to Evaluation
26 - 27 July 2001
This course aims to provide an introduction to evaluative techniques. Participants will:

  a.. become acquainted with the benefits of implementing evaluation
  b.. discover the essentials of the evaluation process
  c.. learn the importance of setting clear objectives
  d.. find out about the range of techniques available
  e.. practice two evaluation techniques in greater detail (observation and questionnaire design)
  f.. practice analysing and interpreting the data
Please see the following information sheet and application form for more details.

 -------------

Summer School - Introduction to Evaluation

26 & 27July 2001

Dyrham Park (National Trust, South Gloucestershire)

Who are our visitors? Where do they come from? How much do they enjoy their visit? What areas, displays or services to they use most? Do they understand our displays, labels, interactives, role-play?We can all make a stab at answering these questions from what we see every day but if we compare our answers to those obtained by systematically asking visitors, we will often be surprised at the difference. So, when mission statements are concerned with the quality of the visitor experience or when funding bodies are asking for reports, we need more just our hunches to provide the answers. Evaluation provides the systematic means to get at these answers.

This course aims to provide an introduction to evaluative techniques. It if for all staff who have responsibility for planning and managing interpretation at museums, heritage and countryside sites. Participants will:

  a.. become acquainted with the benefits of implementing evaluation
  b.. discover the essentials of the evaluation process
  c.. learn the importance of setting clear objectives
  d.. find out about the range of techniques available
  e.. practice two evaluation techniques in greater detail (observation and questionnaire design)
  f.. practice analysing and interpreting the data
Dyrham Park

Built around 1700 Dyrham sits in extensive ancient parklands. The house retains much of its original furniture and displays a collection of fine textiles, paintings, and delftware. A popular historic house and gardens, with a recently developed audio guide and interpretative display, Dyrham provides a great opportunity to study visitor behaviour.

Booking form

As places are limited to 20, you need to book asap.

Cost

Includes course fees, coffee, lunch and refreshments.

  a.. £150 Visitor Studies Group
  b.. £165 Non-members *
  c.. £160 Student non-members *
* includes annual membership to the Visitor Studies Group

Accommodation

A rate of £49 per room (excluding breakfast) is available at Day Inn, Bristol about 5 miles west of Dyrham Park. If you require accommodation there, please contact the hotel directly on 01275 373709. Further accommodation options are available from the Visitor Studies Group upon application for the summer school.

[cut all the above and include the following if you wish to attend] .........................................

I wish to attend the Visitor Studies Group Evaluation Summer School on 26 - 27 July 2001 at Dyrham Park and enclose a cheque payable to the Visitor Studies Group for (put a "X" in front of your favourite option)

 __ £150 Visitor Studies Group member  __ £165 Non-member *  __ £160 Student *

 (* This includes annual membership to the VGS. Please send completed application for membership with this booking slip. Membership forms can be obtained from Peter Reed, Treasurer and Membership Secretary (VSG), 5 Farm Court, Lucton, Nr Leominster, Herefordshire HR6 9PQ, UK. Tel & Fax: 01568 780942, e-mail: [log in to unmask])

Please send completed booking form to:

Maria Economou, 4 Fairfield Street, Flat Ground/B The Warehouse, Manchester M1 3GF

(Tel: 0161-275 7751 or 236 0938, Fax: 0161-275 3331 E-mail: [log in to unmask])