Drawing Power – a final invitation to join the Campaign in 2001

Can drawing provide a fresh approach to collections and exhibitions in
museums, science centres and galleries?  We think so and would like to hear
about your own experiences and most of all urge you to join us this year
with a Big Draw event.  Please read on………

As you may know, The Campaign for Drawing is entering its second year and
seeks new partners to help create a UK-wide focus on drawing for its annual
Big Draw on Saturday 20 October.  Last year, 300 organisations  – from the
National Gallery, all four Tates and the Science Museum to National Trust
properties, industrial and rural museums, heritage sites, hospitals,
schools, artists’ spaces and even Liverpool Prison and the House of Lords –
offered drop-in drawing activities or exhibitions.  This year we hope to
increase to 600 events.  However, it is more than a question of numbers and
we look to you to lead by example and, perhaps, to find new ways of
emphasising the value of drawing in museum and gallery education.

Again this year we are offering Drawing Inspiration Awards to the
organisers of Big Draw events who also provide valuable documentation and
evaluation of their projects.  This year four prizes of £500 (and six
generous packs of drawing materials for runners-up) will go to those who
find the most imaginative ways of engaging audiences in creative activity
or stimulating inquiry.  These events will be celebrated in an illustrated
report to be widely disseminated next January.

Please help to make the next Big Draw an even greater success and register
your commitment to participate on our website: www.drawingpower.org.uk as
soon as possible.  Events can run for a few hours, a few days or weeks, be
free or ticketed.  Venues which prefer to avoid half term because they want
to work with schools – or for other reasons – may choose their own dates.
All we ask is that you acknowledge the Campaign and the Big Draw by using
our logos, which can be emailed or downloaded by ‘right clicking’ on them
on the website. Family Learning Weekend (12-14 October) and Apple Day (21
October) offer complementary themes.

Thanks to new sources of funding (particularly NESTA), we are planning a
more sustained publicity campaign and confidently predict greater national
media awareness in October 2001.  But creating regional interest is of
course more easily achieved by individual institutions – perhaps by forming
a consortium.  Smaller venues will be able to benefit from our PR
blueprint, which will help promote their involvement to local media.  Being
part of a national campaign often ensures more attention from regional TV,
radio and press.

The other good news is that we have just appointed Eileen Adams, a very
experienced educator, to lead our education programme, Power Drawing.  She
will be able to offer guidance on longer-term projects using drawing in
formal and informal education. You can contact Eileen at

We would welcome news of other drawing activities which we can link to our
website. Active participation and collaboration are essential to the
continuing growth of the Campaign; we are counting on yours and look
forward to hearing from you.

Sue Grayson Ford
Director, Campaign for Drawing
7 Gentleman's Row