Funded Opportunities for Professional Development

The next deadline is 23 March 2001.

Would you like to spend 3-8 weeks working on a project of your choice at
another museum, archive, library or other cultural heritage organisation and
exchange ideas, skills, experience, knowledge and build links with another
organisation?

If so we have funding available for individuals working in UK museums,
archives and library special collections to take up secondments in 2001.
The funding enables individuals working and volunteering in museums,
archives and library special collections to be seconded to another museum,
archive, library, or other cultural heritage organisation, to work on
project/s which will benefit their professional development and the
communities and public the organisations serve.  Paid members of staff need
to have at least three years experience in the sector and two years in your
present post to be eligible for funding and as a volunteer, you need to have
been in your present organisation for one year.

"My time at the V&A was enlightening, educational and inspirational.  I was
excited about returning to my post armed with fresh ideas, new skills and
plans about how to implement some of what I had learned straight away... My
only regret about the scheme is that I cannot do it again..."
Antoinette Rawlings, Deputy Curator Keeper of Art seconded from Wiltshire
Heritage Museum to the Victoria and Albert Museum.

What we offer:

*       Secondments last for 3-8 weeks, although 6 weeks is the norm.  You
choose where you want to go and what you want to do.  (Secondments must be
between UK institutions).

*       Secondments can be taken in a block or can be split up in a variety
of ways to suit the individual.

*       Grants from £2000 - £6000 are available to individuals to cover
costs while they are on secondment such as transportation, accommodation,
subsistence, and child care.

*       The grant includes funding for the seconding organisation to claim
between £150 and £300 per week.  This is intended as contribution to help
them cover the individual's post whilst they are away.

*       The host organisation can also claim up to £500 for equipment and
materials for use during the secondment which will be kept by them
afterwards.

There are four application rounds left (23 March, 24 May, 27 July and 31
August), but don't wait to the end of the year, we need individuals to
demonstrate their interest now!

For details of eligibility and further information please contact Catherine
Atkinson, Millennium Awards Administrator, 16 Queen Anne's Gate, London SW1H
9AA, telephone 020 7273 1406, fax: 020 7273 1404 or email
Secondments are paid for by the Sharing Museum Skills scheme through funding
from the Millennium Commission.

Sarah Woodward
Communications Assistant
Resource: The Council for Museums Archives and Libraries
020 7273 1458
16 Queen Anne's Gate
London
SW1H 9AA