See answers below

>Please state your:
>Name:
 Christine Castle

>Job title and institution:
 Free-lance consultant and student

>Are you a Personal or Institutional member?
Personal

>Please give a rating 1-6 to the relevant questions, 1 being poor and 6
>excellent
>
>GEM News
>
>· How useful do you find it (1-6)?
This varies issue by issue - generally 4 or 5

>· How do you rate its format and design (1-6)?
It's fine - 4

>· What do you think of its content (1-6)?
Varies - 4 or 5

>· Please give your general comments on it (eg reasons why you read it, any
>changes you would like to see in GEM News)
I read it to keep up to date on theory and practice in museum ed in the
UK. Details of programs and events are not of as much interest to me, as
an international member, because I'm not able to attend. I've noted a few
Canadian-based articles recently and would like to see a column (or
something like that) on international news. Perhaps John Carter can be
encouraged to write?

>· Would you prefer to have sent a hard copy or would you access it via the
>internet?
Via e-mail would work fine for me for GEM news. We in Toronto publish
MERTNEWS only electronically and that works well for those who are
hooked-up. We have, however, had complaints about those who can not access
the material.

6

>· How do you rate its format and design (1-6)?
4

>· What do you think of its content (1-6)?
6

>· Would you prefer to have sent a hard copy or would you access it via the
>internet?
Hard copy - I save JEM (as opposed to GEM news, which I recycle) and I
like the journal format better than print-outs for that.

>· The costs of producing a research-based Journal are increasing.  Would
>you be prepared to pay extra towards the cost of JEM costs?  If so, what
>would you think reasonable for such a publication?
Tricky question. Probably better for local members to address this as the
exchange rate into Cdn. $ makes it pretty expensive anyway.

>· Please give your general comments on the Journal (eg reasons why you
>read
>it, any changes you would like to see in JEM News).  Also, we are
>particularly interested in changing its format.  Please make any comments
>on this.
I'm not as interested in the format as the content of these publications.
I find them readable now, which is the important thing for me.

6

>Website and e-mail list
>
>· Are you on the email list?  YES/NO
  YES

>If so, please comment on how useful you find it (1-6)?
4 - sometimes there are real "gems" though!

>· Do you ever visit the GEM website?  YES/NO
 Rarely

>If so, please comment on how useful you find it (1-6)?

>· Please make any comments on how you feel the website could be developed
>or improved?

Thanks for the opportunity to comment. Good luck with the survey!

M. Christine Castle
Dept. of Curriculum, Teaching and Learning
The Ontario Institute for Studies in Education
University of Toronto
Toronto, Ontario