The Children Act 1989 makes a distinction for children "under 8".
The section as at http://www.doh.gov.uk/busguide/childhtm/cpt7.htm

As I understand it, there is a requirement for anyone acting in loco
parentis for children under 8 to be registered by Social Services.
Registration includes the standards of premises and this is what museums
often cannot meet. So the policy needs to be clear that children under 8
must be supervised by a responsible 'parent' or equivalent and that museum
staff do not take on this responsibility. (hence the signs often seen at
museum entrances about supervision).
I have heard some good excuses from parents wanting to leave seven year olds
with museum staff such as "He/she goes to an independent school" , "He/she
is old for their age", "We won't blame you if anything happens" and "Well, I
just have to go shopping sometime don't I?", so a clear policy is essential.

Peter Clarke