Ed wrote

"Can I ask if it is common for external contractors to supply GIS data to
SMRs? What sort of data is being supplied? Individual site surveys? Thematic
digitisation of particular types of site? Its an area I hadn't
considered..."

No it isn't common but some of us would like it to become common.  The main
problem is in the lack of common methodologies and understanding.  Those
contractors I have guided to the ADHS site have come back to me as baffled
as before.  That leaves my rather vague requirements in a design brief as
follows:

6.4.1   The archive will include a CD-ROM (s)containing the following:

¨ Digital copy of the full report.
¨ All photographs in digital format
¨ Indexes and recording sheets.
¨ Drawings in DXF or Tiff format

Bob Sydes
Archaeological Officer
Bath & North East Somerset Council

The views and comments expressed in this email are confidential to the recipients
and should not be passed on to others without permission.  This email message does
not necessarily express the views of Bath & North East Somerset Council and should
be considered personal unless there is a specific statement to the contrary.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been checked for all
known viruses by the MessageLabs Virus Scanning Service.