Hello Folks

with regard to Non legal Terminology, I have to agree with the poster (postee?) who said that using these will probably only add an extra layer of possible confusion to the status. However, the point about most statuses reflecting some degree of protection anyway, (with regard to military sites) is also relevant.

How about something along the lines of Protected Site (Military)? That Is a bit more useful in terms of helping point to where the designation comes from, but still adheres to the legal term aspect of the Status (assuming Protected site is the Legal Term). It could be included in the List 'rules' that anything in Brackets is not actually part of the legal definition (assuming that Brackets are allowable)

With regard to the codes, what is used is fairly irrelevant to me (you say SAM I say SM). The key point about them is that they should have some sort of link to the description (so LB is Listed Building, HB is Historic building, for example) so they are more intuitive to use. After all, as I understand it from HBSMR, the main point of them is to ease inputting (correct me if I am wrong), and in the future to help data exchange.

Nick Boldrini
SMR Computing Officer
Heritage Unit
North Yorkshire County Council
Direct Dial (01609) 532331

This E-mail is personal.
It is not authorised by or sent on behalf of
North Yorkshire County Council, however,
the Council has the right and does inspect
E-Government mails sent from and to its
computer system.
This E-mail is the sole responsibility of the sender.