Apologies for cross posting

Hello Everyone

in case you are bored over Xmas, perhaps you could ponder the following.

At North Yorkshire we are trying to come up with some sort of spec we can give to contractors etc for how to format digital data to enable it to be easily imported into the SMR. We are about to switch to HBSMR and are going to be discussing this with Exegesis, but I was wondering if anyone out there has come up with something along these lines already? If so would they mind sending us a copy so we can shamelessly plagarise it?

If no one has done this, can anyone suggest what they would consider to be  useful pointers to how to achieve this? Bearing in mind we would be trying to persuade contractors (and other project organisers outside the DC world) to provide data in this format, a trade off may need to be made between getting all the information importable and no-one doing it as it is too much work, or getting a core of information in and actually getting people to provide that.

Things that spring to my mind are the fact that MIDAS suggests some core information that Monuments and events need to have, this would obviously be a good place to start. But then an issue is would it be better to get the project organisers to only supply the events data in an agreed digital format, and then have the SMRO's interpret out the monuments? Or should we be asking them to provide that sort of information also?

thanks for any help

Nick Boldrini
SMR Computing Officer
North Yorkshire County Council
Direct Dial (01609) 532331

This E-mail is personal.
It is not authorised by or sent on behalf of
North Yorkshire County Council, however,
the Council has the right and does inspect
E-Government mails sent from and to its
computer system.
This E-mail is the sole responsibility of the sender.