Most of the listed buildings are in urban and semi urban contexts, others are bridges walls tombs etc. Many can be digitised as part of the extensive urban survey (and? UADs) you are then left with more isolated buildings. OK so we only have c2400 but is does not take that long to do the work, and surely it is better to have some idea where the LBs are than none at all. I certainly know of planning cases where listings (sometimes cartilage) were not noticed until late in the day.

>>> [log in to unmask] 08/10/2001 14:52:17 >>>
I was basically trying to say is that we should be wary of representing
statutory information spatially when it has not been supplied that way.
Although John's right that what we plot is indicative not definitive, my
worry is that once the information has left our hands it can be used in all
sorts of ways that we effectively have no control over it, despite any
caveats to its use we may initially add.

In Essex, we have over 14,000 Listed Buildings so to polygonise (is that a
word?) these and check in the field those instances where only a single
element of (what appears on the map as) a single building or part of terrace
is listed would clearly be a mammoth task and demand large scale resources.
Our dot method has actually proved very successful.

I suspect that because of possible legal ramifications this information
(unlike SAM data which is depicted on a map) is unlikely to be made
available on a GIS layer from EH (which isn't really data standards issue),
the result of this (ie local authorities doing it their own way) is a data
standards issue.

Nigel

This e-mail (including any attachments) is intended only for the
recipient(s) named above.  It may contain confidential or privileged
information and should not be read, copied or otherwise used by any other
person unless express permission is given.  If you are not a named
recipient, please contact the sender and delete the e-mail from your system.
It is the recipient's responsibility to ensure that appropriate measures are
in place to check for software viruses.

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it from South
Gloucestershire Council are confidential and intended
solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they
are addressed. If you have received this email in error
please notify the South Gloucestershire Council postmaster
 at the address below.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has
been swept for the presence of computer viruses.