Regarding Neil's comments on the research and development community not
getting involved with practical applications, I think that these apply
generally to the issues of image data and heritage applications. I have been
working in image data research over the last year (nothing to do with GIS),
and have been trying to get my software programmer colleagues interested in
various practical problems in the heritage field. There is a gap in
comprehension of issues of interest which I begin to think is quite deep
rooted. The academic researchers have been sort of interested but back off a
bit because they don't know about archaeology and heritage stuff.
Janet Davis

---