Hello all,

List members with an interst in thesaurus construction (what? - you mean
some of you aren't?) may be interested to hear that the British Standards
Institute (BSI) has accepted a proposal for redevelopment of the 1987 BSI
standard for mono-lingual thesaurus construction, and the 1985 standard for
multilingual thesaurus construction. These are the standards which govern
developments such as the EH Thesaurus of Monument Types. Broadly speaking,
the proposal is to revise the 2 standards  bringing them together to reflect
needs at the start of the 21st century.  The scope will be extended somewhat
deal with alternative forms of controlled vocabulary.  But the core of the
existing standards will be retained, with adjustments to present them in
today's parlance.

The government has an interest in this development - you may remember that
information on the 'pan-government thesaurus' proposal was circulated to the
list some months ago.

Stella Dextre Clarke (contact details below) is co-ordinating comments from
government departments. It may be worth contacting her if you need further
information. In the meantime this is clearly a development that FISH members
may want to keep in touch with. I'll post further information as I receive
it.

Contact details:-
Stella G Dextre Clarke
Information Consultant
Luke House, West Hendred, Wantage, Oxon, OX12 8RR, UK

Edmund Lee
Forum Co-ordinator
Forum on Information Standards in Heritage

Find out more about FISH at
http:/www.mda.org.uk/fish
or join the discussion at
http:/www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/fish