Morning all,

During last Summer the Institute of Field Archaeologists (IFA) invited
comments on a review of their 'Standards and Guidance' documents. These
cover ethical procedures for various areas of archaeological practice
(currently  desk-based assessment, field evaluation, excavation, watching
brief and building investigation and recording). William Kilbride at the
Archaeology Data Service and I suggested to the IFA that it would be useful
to have clearer references to work on establishing and promoting national
data standards in the heritage sector. The IFA have now invited specific
comments from us by the end of February, with a view to issuing revised
standards during Summer 2001.

As well as pushing our own agenda, this move would be supported by the IFA
'Code of Conduct' which includes at principle 3 that "The archaeologist
shall conduct his/her work in such a way that reliable information about the
past may be acquired, and shall ensure that the results be properly
recorded".

To help William and I put our comments together, can I invite FISH list folk
to contribute any thoughts they have on how data standards might best be
referred to in the IFA standards? You can view the standards documents on
the IFA web site at
http://www.archaeologists.net/standards/standards_index.html

Thanks for any comments - I'd be grateful if they could be posted to the
list please, so that we can generate some discussion.

Edmund Lee
FISH Coordinator

Find out more about FISH, the Forum on Information Standards in Heritage at
its email discussion group at
www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/fish/