Paul,

Can you be a bit more specific? Whaty issues do you want FISH to address?
I'm concerned that any attempt to harmonise e.g. symbols for depicting
heritage features in GIS as you mentioned in your earlier email (Wednesday
14th) is unlikely to prove viable given the enormous range of potential
applications that there are, and the issues involved (e.g. dependancy on
scale of map background to name but one). Apologies if I've got the wrong
end of the digital stick here.

I accept that the ADS provides excellent advice on file formats through
their Guides - but that is (I hope) why they are involved in the forum: to
share that experience with the rest of us, and (as one route) to get our
feed-back on whether their guides are reflecting what people actually need.

I must also take issue with  a couple of comments in your earlier email -

.."especially as the OS seem less keen on showing archaeological sites on
their digital maps"

this isn't my understanding at all - in fact the proposed Digital National
Framework (DNF) from O.S. includes Heritage as a 'theme' (one of only nine,
and by far the most specific). List members might want to look at
www.ordsrvy.gov.uk/dnf/future.htm <http://www.ordsrvy.gov.uk/dnf/future.htm>
for an up to date report.

also (with my EH hat on here)

..."English Heritage started a spatial standards working party some time ago
but that soon fizzled out. "

I feel I must counter the impression you give that we don't care about this
area of work. The forum has not met recently chiefly because two of the key
members have left the organisation, and the rest of us have been snowed
under. We (and I mean the EH Data Services Unit here) continue to be very
actively involved in discussion with O.S. and other agencies regarding GIS
standards.

Edmund