        I think Jason has managed to summarise very well what I was driving
at.
        The lack of standards has inhibited and will inhibit future use of
national projects such as
        historic landscapes and urban surveys. Many SMRs are now grappling
with how best to depict
        the historic environment on CAD and GIS, for polygons and lines, and
also points. There is also the
        issue of whether it is possible to define standard symbol sets for
heritage features, especially as the OS
        seem less keen on showing archaeological sites on their digital
maps. These are clearly areas for
        the heritage sector to address and there don't seem to be any other
contendors than FISH. English Heritage
        started a spatial standards working party some time ago but that
soon fizzled out. As Jason says, it is time
        something was done while the problem is relatively small, but the
problem is growing fast.
        Paul Gilman
        Heritage Information and Records Manager
        Essex County Council

This e-mail (including any attachments) is intended only for the
recipient(s) named above.  It may contain confidential or privileged
information and should not be read, copied or otherwise used by any other
person unless express permission is given.  If you are not a named
recipient, please contact the sender and delete the e-mail from your system.
It is the recipient's responsibility to ensure that appropriate measures are
in place to check for software viruses.