-----Original Message-----
From: Hall, Geoff
Sent: Thursday, December 20, 2001 2:37 PM
To: Evans, Mike
Subject: RE: AP Collections

Mike,

My contribution would be as follows:

km square method

At the National Monuments Record Centre we house the national library of air photographs.  The oblique collection of c700,000 photographs is stored by kilometre square.  I can understand your concern about mixing up different collections, but it really depends on your cataloguing system and whether or not the level of data that you collate, includes the source of photography.  If that is the case, then nothing is 'lost'!

You need to ask yourself how the collection is accessed?  If it is by geographical reference then it seems logical that you file the prints in km square order.  At the NMRC the ap collection is catalogued on the PHOTONET system, every print being sited to concord with its centre point (to 100m accuracy).  PHOTONET reduces the six-figure grid references to a 4 fig reference and also gives it a unique identifier.  (So SD123456, becomes SD1245/1, etc.)

We also archive 2,000,000 vertical photographs, which are stored by film order, but this is because that material is taken in runs of overlapping frames, to afford us stereoscopic coverage of the landscape.

If you'd like to see it in the flesh, then you are welcome to pay us a visit.  I wish you luck!

Regards,

Geoff Hall
NMR - Aerial Photographs Curator
TEL: 01793 - 414750