Long overdue thanks to those who responded to my query re:  texts and
materials for a seminar on documentary history & theory.  Members of this
list are tremendously resourceful.  I've also been following the invigorating
discussions of documentary here, and these are certainly helping me to
formulate and frame the questions I want the seminar to address.

Did anyone catch the special on cinema verité that aired recently on
Sundance?  I caught just the end of it--fascinating footage of an activist
organization teaching folks in Kosovo to operate DV cameras so they can
document what's "really" happening and post it on the internet, as opposed to
the stories told by the institutionalized media.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to formulate a kind of Bakhtinian metalinguistic set of
definitions of documentary--anyone else chasing that sort of thing?  This
from Boris Vidovic got me thinking about working on that again:

>>There is a
>whole genre that stands between fact and fiction: pornography. I think this
>is exactly the reason for both its appeal and repulsivness: the audience
>appreciates that there is no 'faking', and film theorists (appart from
>scorning it) have problems with putting it in the right box...

Not sure how this will go over down here at the "old war skule" but it's just
the kind of performance issue I've been sharpening my pencils for.

Thanks,
Trish

Patricia A. Suchy
Dept. of Speech Communication