>    >>The very act of filming is a pro-filmic event,
surely?

> well, damian, perhaps . . . but this is cutting it very
fine
> indeed, isn't it? . . . for if the act of filming is
itself a
> pro-filmic event then the act of writing is always a
> pro-textual [if that's the term??] event

Yup.

and if
> ALL signifieds are simultanously signs both of
> their referents and of of the circumstances of their
> inscription [that is if they are simultanously and
> indiscriminately both symbols and indices] then any
> kind of discrimination becomes impossible since
> the principle applies to all representations

ALL signifiers as well. But no, not impossible to
discriminate. Such categorisations are fine, as long as
they are appreciated as categorisations. Phenomenological
approaches that define the event must be self-revelatory,
in my book.

> i have no argument with this in theory . . . but
> i thought tim's post was about the peculiar and
> special character of the act of filming pro-filmic
> events that occur before the camera and it was
> this that i was repsonding to

No problem, I just smarted at the distinctions made. Even
scratching the film (see Boris' post) is pro-filmic in my
opinion. My understanding of the pro-filmic is in the
process of filming (ie. Lenses, celluloid, and gubbins).
It's therefore difficult to prove that events filmed AREN'T
pro-filmic, if you see what I mean. The limits of event are
defined by its filming etc. etc.

I think.

Damian

Damian Peter Sutton