My earlier note regarding Kubrick's observations on Eisenstein's cinema of
montage and Chaplin's cinema of staging isn't at all to be confused with a
debate over realism vs. non-realism. The realism issue comes up regarding my
mention of Cesare Zavattini, the neo-realist screenwriter, theorist and,
some would say, idealogue.
The various other mentions of polar opposites, whether it's Chaplin vs.
Eisenstein, Bazin vs. Deren, and others, all point to the fascinating
territory of clashing cinematic ideals which have raged since the early days
of the silents. Indeed, the most fundamental debate was visible right there
at the beginning: The Lumiere Brothers' short documents of industrial life
vs. Melies' fantastical visions. There's a fascinating pattern to this kind
of conflict that has helped make film such a rich landscape of varying
aesthetics.
But I'm finding myself more and more interested in how a set of ideas,
forming a movement, then evolves slowly over time, especially within a
particular country. The most interesting example I think is in Italy, where
the neo-realists created a major break with past, highly artificial styles,
only to have it evolved almost imperceptibly over time, with Antonioni's
``Cronica di un Amore'' being the first significant turn away from strictly
neo-realist views a la Zavattini. Fellini and Visconti then followed in
their own ways, departing gradually, and then dramatically, from
neo-realism, until we arrived at something radically different after a slow,
decade-long development. This passage into radical modernism is one of the
most fascinating stories in film history, and yet is not quite the case of
clashing aesthetics, but views developing and changing. In this way, this
Italian experience is much like the gradual changes that occurred in several
other great art movements in history--American expressionism, the
Renaissance, portraiture.
It makes me wonder if there's a published history, theoretical or otherwise,
which contrasts these two different tendencies in art: The conflict of
opposite views on one hand, the gradual evolution of ideas and style on the
other....
Robert Koehler