Damian Peter Sutton wrote:

>Anyway, even Grierson's terminology would not necessarily
>rule out actuality films from very early cinema, or even
>newsreels,

Of course it wouldn't.  It's your definition that would rule out all films
that feature staged sequences, a set which includes most classical
documentaries.  You can't use a definition that excludes the canonical cases.

>You still haven't answered about Nosferatu, though.

I didn't realize you were expecting an answer.  No, Bruno Ganz is not a
vampire.

>As
>for "inventing" it, I'm not so sure - occasionally I come
>across texts either contemporary with or preceding Grierson
>(usually on photography) which use the term, although it is
>rare. It's also not clear how much is lost in translations
>of texts, or in the re-appropriation of texts in which the
>term is 'added'. In any case, we're in a discussion of
>primacy which I'm not equipped to deal with.

This is interesting if it's true.  Can you give any citations?

But even if Grierson isn't the first person to coin the term, his influence
is undeniable.