>At which point does _Aguirre, the wrath of God_, become
>documentary? What makes it more documentary than any other
>historical epic?

 From the moment it begins, AGUIRRE never ceases to make reference to its
own production, from the water drops on the camera lenses, to the bright
red paint-blood, to the real locations and indigenous people.  When
watching we feel the filmmaking crew embarking on the same odyssey as the
characters in the film.  All accounts hold that Kinski's volatile
personality was in fact not all that different from Aguirre's, and that the
crew suffered all kinds of physical and emotional hardships, mirroring the
casualties depicted in the film.  One of Herzog's innovations is not to
have his actors "act"; essentially they play themselves.  Similarly, one
could say that Stroszek and Kaspar Hauser are two variations on Bruno S.
himself (the ex-mental patient and the wild child).  In a sense, any
fiction film is a document of its own making, but Herzog's special brand of
performative "realism" lends itself to this kind of reading.