At 05:06  26/06/01 +1000, you wrote:
>Hello there Garry
>
>         What got me thinking was your discussion of Harold Holt's bow. Very
>interesting! Raises all sorts of questions concerning the 'performativity'
>involved. What is the status of a photographic image gesture, in relation
>to the historical event to which it is related/articulated. By reading the
>bent body of Holt as a bow, and not say a doubling over or a ducking of the
>head and so forth, aren't we choosing one possibility out of many? This
>suggests that the site of any reading is always shot through with a
>multiplicity of potentials, which need to be described or mapped.  The
>'decisive moment' then is not a matter of revealing the truth of an event,
>but of setting it off on another path.
>
>Warwick

Hi Warwick,

I suppose he was  not bowing, though God knows every time I see the film of
Menzies* with the Queen and hear that awful speech of his about 'I had but
just to see her passing by and Oh I love her till I die', I think anything
is possible with Australian Prime Ministers when they are in the company of
their "betters".

Nevertheless I doubt very much if Holt was bowing.  But there are other
aspects of the photograph which betoken subservience. In any case the truth
of it all was that his bending over could be read as a bow because of the
nature of the underlying relationship between the two leaders/nations.  It
is as if we had a sudden glimpse into the  ontological depths that Bhaskar
is always insisting on. That means there are limits to the reading of the
"bow". It is decisive because it gives us access to the ontological.

regards

Gary

* Note for non-Aussies.  Sir Robert Menzies was Australia's longest serving
Prime Minister.
An ardent Royalist and vicious anti-communist, he began Australia's
disastrous involvement in ?vietnam