From: [log in to unmask]>Steven Bissell
To: [log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask]
Sent: Sunday, December 16, 2001 8:31 AM
Subject: Re: DDT and health, was Re: Wildavsky's "Milk Room" analogy

Well, I don't know, but my suspicion is that the DDT in Ceylon was *not* to control mosquitoes, but for agricultural control. I wonder if there is *any* control of mosquitoes going on. I went to school at the University of Utah in the late Pliocene. At that time U of U was the largest mosquitoes abatement research center in the world. I took classes from several mosquito guys and the rising resistance to DDT was well known. They had worked out lots of alternate methods of control, including some really clever methods of interrupting breeding cycles. If you know of any study where DDT was used *exclusively* for mosquito control, it would be interesting to see the figures. I know that the suggested application rates of DDT for mosquitoes is fairly low as compared to application rates for agricultural pests. BTW, containers of DDT use to advise applying directly to the skin of sleeping bats in order to kill them. Even the DDT folks knew, or seemed to know, that it was toxic to mammals.

In case you wonder the reason U of U was a mosquito center is because of the marshes around Great Salt Lake. In the summer the mosquitoes can actually dim the sun if they are swarming.

Steven

We inhabit a world of dismal success
and heroic failure.
                      Irving Horowitz