Perhaps someone should make the point that if local inhabitants don't feel
conservation is important, then it represents something of a colonial
attitude to impose it upon them from above (North>South). There is a
rhetoric of "place" that holds that we form an attachment to our place and
those with such an attachment in place hold the responsibility of caring for
it. It may be that it is impossible, or just too late in the game, to
adequately preserve the communities of others'.
with respect,
-Tc
Anthony R. S. Chiaviello, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Professional Writing
Department of English
University of Houston-Downtown
One Main Street
Houston, TX 77009