Dear Colleagues

We are holding a 1-Day course on Critical State Soil Mechanics on Thursday 13 September 2001 at the University of Nottingham.  The course is aimed at those who are new to CSSM or who need a refresher course.  It would be useful for those in industry who feel they need to know more about CSSM, and researchers who feel that a crash course would be useful.

We will look at friction, cohesion and critical states with reference to the shear box test and then the triaxial test.  We will develop the Cam Clay model, use it to make predictions of soil response, and examine more advanced soil models.  We will look at how to obtain soil parameters for design and analysis using CSSM, and examine applications of CSSM in geotechnical analysis and practice.

It's a lot to do in a day!

The lecturers will be myself, Prof Hai-Sui Yu (University of Nottingham) and Dr Ken Been (Golder Associates).  Further details are available below.

At £110 for the day, it is a bargain!

We look forward to seeing you here in September.

Regards
Glenn McDowell
-------------------------------------
Thursday 13th September 2001
Critical State Soil Mechanics

Theme:
Critical State Soil Mechanics (CSSM) provides a framework for describing soil behaviour, enabling the engineer to explain and predict soil response.  The course is intended for those who are new to CSSM, or who need a refresher course.  The course examines friction and cohesion models for soil, and presents a framework which is consistent with both.  An elastic-plastic soil model is derived and used to explain and predict behaviour.  The use of CSSM models in geotechnical analysis and recent developments in CSSM are described.

Speakers:
Dr Glenn McDowell (Cambridge MA, PhD) has been researching soil mechanics for eight years.  He is a Chartered Engineer and winner of a Dearing Award for Teaching and Learning.  Prof Hai-Sui Yu (MSc from Imperial, DPhil from Oxford, DSc from Newcastle, Australia) has over 15 years teaching and research experience in soil mechanics.  He is a Fellow of the Institution of Engineers Australia and winner of ICE's Telford Medal in 2000.  Dr Ken Been (DPhil from Oxford) has over 20 years experience in soil mechanics and geotechnical engineering.

Dr

Location
University of Nottingham

Details
The fee for the course includes buffet lunch and refreshments, and a set of course notes.

Programme
8:45 am: Registration and Coffee
9:00 am: The shear-box test: friction and critical states - Dr Glenn McDowell (University of Nottingham)
10:00 am:The shear-box test: cohesion and critical states - Dr Glenn McDowell
11:00 am: Coffee
11:15 am: The triaxial test and Cam Clay - Dr Glenn McDowell
12:15 pm: Predictions of Cam Clay - Dr Glenn McDowell
1:00 pm:  Lunch
2:00 pm: Critical states and soil properties for analysis and design - Dr Ken Been (Golder Associates)
2:45 pm: Critical state constitutive models - Prof Hai-Sui Yu (University of Nottingham)
3:30pm: Tea
4:00 pm:  Applications of CSSM in geotechnical analysis and practice - Prof Hai-Sui Yu and Dr Ken Been

COST: £110
CHEQUES PAYABLE TO: University of Nottingham
(or request for an invoice to be sent)

Please send your contact details and cheque or invoice to:

Rachel Ramsden
Short Course Administrator
School of Civil Engineering
University of Nottingham
University Park
Nottingham NG7 2RD

IF YOU HAVE ANY QUERIES, please contact Rachel Ramsden direct on
Tel: +44 (0) 115 951 3993
Fax: +44 (0) 115 951 3898
e-mail: [log in to unmask]

If Rachel is unavailable, contact Glenn McDowell direct (see my signature below).

All participants will be sent joining instructions in advance.  Course notes will be available on arrival.

We are happy to accept substitute delegates.  Please let us know as soon as possible so that the delegate list and name badges can be changed.

Bookings made after 6th September 2001 will be subject to the full fee, even if the delegate does not attend the course.

Dr Glenn McDowell MA PhD (Cantab.) CEng CPhys MInstP MIM ILTM
Lecturer in Soil Mechanics
School of Civil Engineering
University of Nottingham
University Park