Hi

In general carbonates are beneficial and marly soils are more competent
than purely clayey ones. France is a country well endowed with
marls and this idea is well reflected in french codes of practice (e.g.
piles, Bustamante & Frank, Ground Engineering, 32,3).
The causes of this behaviour are not clear as yet, but is very tempting
to see carbonates as structuring agents and some data is available
supporting this position (e.g. channel tunnel chalk Biarez et al. at
"Hard soils -soft rocks" 1998)
I was talking about saturated soils. If we consider now the saturation
process then again I can't see why carbonates would be worst than
clays. Carbonates won't swell as clays do. Admittedly, thay can be
solved by water, but their solution rate is too slow for this to be of
engineering concern. If the soils were to be saline or gypsiferous then
solution will be indeed a problem (the reference here is James "Soluble
materials in civil engineering" Ellis Horwood 1992).
It is true, however, that carbonates might mask the presence of active
clays by lowering the plasticity values. (This is, at least, what I
inferred from work published by [log in to unmask],
but it may be worth asking him). It may be then that what seems to be a
problem caused by carbonates its really a problem hidden by carbonates
(e.g. active clays).

Yours
Marcos Arroyo

phone:0117 9288 286