Date:         Fri, 26 Oct 2001 15:54:45 -0400
Sender: Marine Mammals Research and Conservation Discussion
From: Caryn Self Sullivan <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Internship Opportunity-Belize
Comments: To: Sirenian Listserv <[log in to unmask]>,
          [log in to unmask], Caryn Self Sullivan
          <[log in to unmask]>, Bill Evans <[log in to unmask]>,
          Jane Packard <[log in to unmask]>,
          Janice Crenshaw <[log in to unmask]>,
          Phyllis Evans <[log in to unmask]>,
          Robert Randall <[log in to unmask]>,
          Wyndylyn von Zharen <[log in to unmask]>,
          Anne Geoghegan <[log in to unmask]>,
          Blue Magruder <[log in to unmask]>,
          Caroline Han <[log in to unmask]>,
          Carolyn Hottle <[log in to unmask]>,
          Dee Robbins <[log in to unmask]>,
          Elizabeth Barrett <[log in to unmask]>,
          Ellen Gray <[log in to unmask]>,
          Kate Wissel <[log in to unmask]>,
          Katie LaCommare <[log in to unmask]>,
          Liz Johnstone <[log in to unmask]>,
          Lotus Arrieta Vermeer <[log in to unmask]>,
          Marie Studer <[log in to unmask]>,
          Merove Heifetz <[log in to unmask]>,
          Misty-Anne Ralston Marold <[log in to unmask]>,
          Nini Bloch <[log in to unmask]>,
          Pam Quayle <[log in to unmask]>,
          Regen Jamieson <[log in to unmask]>,
          Sarah Staunton <[log in to unmask]>,
          "Sean F. Britt" <[log in to unmask]>,
          Ulrika Malone <[log in to unmask]>,
          Sarah Reim <[log in to unmask]>,
          Sarah Mills <[log in to unmask]>,
          Roxanne Paul <[log in to unmask]>,
          Matthew Swarbrick <[log in to unmask]>,
          Leonardo Wedeking <[log in to unmask]>,
          Lauren Walsh <[log in to unmask]>,
          Katina Chiaravalle North <[log in to unmask]>,
          Karen van den Berghe <[log in to unmask]>,
          Julien Marchal <[log in to unmask]>,
          James Greig <[log in to unmask]>,
          Danielle Savarese <[log in to unmask]>,
          Brien Foley <[log in to unmask]>,
          Morgan Barnebee <[log in to unmask]>,
          Philip Batty <[log in to unmask]>,
          Steven Marc Friedman <[log in to unmask]>,
          Emily Clark <[log in to unmask]>,
          Julie Batty <[log in to unmask]>,
          Carol Stevenson <[log in to unmask]>,
          Bonnie Carroll <[log in to unmask]>, Gina Onorato <[log in to unmask]>,
          Chris Humble <[log in to unmask]>,
          Julie Strong <[log in to unmask]>,
          Laura Abell <[log in to unmask]>,
          Liz Anderson <[log in to unmask]>, Scott Weber <[log in to unmask]>,
          Keith Smith <[log in to unmask]>,
          Sam Bate <[log in to unmask]>,
          Todd Robosan <[log in to unmask]>,
          Susie Vlcek <[log in to unmask]>,
          Dalen Copeland <[log in to unmask]>,
          Debbie Morgan <[log in to unmask]>,
          Louise McCann <[log in to unmask]>,
          Sam Gallagher <[log in to unmask]>,
          Katie Lee <[log in to unmask]>, Jack Burtt <[log in to unmask]>,
          Blair Lipscomb <[log in to unmask]>,
          Casey Rae Johnsonbaugh <[log in to unmask]>,
          Conrad Roelli <[log in to unmask]>, Debra Curtis <[log in to unmask]>,
          Fabio Badolato <[log in to unmask]>,
          Federico Mora <[log in to unmask]>,
          Jack Lipscomb <[log in to unmask]>,
          Jack Peppiatt <[log in to unmask]>,
          Jeff Rees <[log in to unmask]>,
          Joan Mierkowski <[log in to unmask]>,
          Julia Bernheim <[log in to unmask]>,
          Kazukuni Hosoi <[log in to unmask]>,
          Kirk McGuire <[log in to unmask]>,
          Kit Stephenson <[log in to unmask]>,
          Linda Hurcombe <[log in to unmask]>,
          Liz Miller <[log in to unmask]>,
          Mai Nygaard <[log in to unmask]>,
          Marilyn Alexander <[log in to unmask]>,
          Rhian Evans <[log in to unmask]>,
          Rick Soucy <[log in to unmask]>, Sandra Breil <[log in to unmask]>,
          Suzannah Olivier <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]

Volunteer Internship Announcement
(http://www.sirenian.org/LogisticsInternBelize.html)
==================================
Title:  Logistics and Research Intern
Project:  Behavioral and Habitat Ecology of Manatees in Belize, Central America
Funding Agency:  The Earthwatch Institute
Principle Investigators:  Caryn Self Sullivan and Katherine S. LaCommare
Location:  Drowned Cayes, Belize, Central America
Project Details:  Available Online at Earthwatch
(http://www.earthwatch.org/expeditions/lacommare.html)
Approximate Dates:      Winter/Spring Term:  10 January - 10 April 2002
                                    Summer Term:  1 June - 28 August 2002
Qualifications:  Science oriented upper level undergraduate, graduate, or post-doc.  The
successful applicant must be a strong swimmer, must be well organized and comfortable with
coordinating logistics (with an emphasis on meals) for groups of 12 people, must have
cooking experience, and must be comfortable working with volunteers and living under
rustic/primitive conditions.  First aid, CPR, and snorkeling experience are of added value
as is a background in biology, zoology, wildlife ecology, environmental or marine science,
or conservation biology.  Preference will be given to Belizean Nationals who meet the
above qualifications.

Accepting Applications Immediately.

CLOSING DATE (for Winter/Spring Term):  December 15, 2001

Be prepared to work very hard in exchange for this opportunity to participate in a unique
manatee field research project in Belize.  Our Logistics Interns have three principle
responsibilities:  (1) coordinate and train volunteers; (2) coordinate camp logistics
(with an emphasis on weekly shopping and meal preparation); and (3) collect and reduce
field data (including, GPS data, acoustic recordings, and seagrass samples).  Depending on
the intern's interests, there may be opportunities for conducting an independent project.
The intern will also help lead snorkeling trips on the reef.  USE OF ILLEGAL SUBSTANCES,
ALCOHOL ABUSE, AND/OR FRATERNIZATION WITH EARTHWATCH VOLUNTEERS WILL NOT BE TOLERATED.
RESEARCHERS RESERVE THE RIGHT TO TERMINATE THE INTERNSHIP AND RETURN THE INTERN TO THE
RENDEZVOUS SITE FOR MISCONDUCT.

Camp Conditions:  Spanish Bay Marine Research Station is situated on the northwest side of
a 143-acre mangrove island in the Drowned Cayes, which are located about 10 miles east of
Belize City and 2 miles west of the Belize barrier reef. If you are familiar with the
Drowned Cayes area, you might know our island as Spanish Lookout Caye or Spanish Bay Caye
and our research station as "Pink House", although only the trim is pink today. Aside from
the staff and guests at Spanish Bay Resort (located on the west side of the island) and +
3 island dogs, we are the only inhabitants. We live in a wood frame bunkhouse and have
screens, showers, and toilet facilities. A separate building serves as our kitchen,
research and social room. Our limited water (rainwater catchment vat) and electricity
(solar + generator) must be conserved at all times. There is no nightlife on the island,
other than that we make ourselves! We bring all our food and supplies by small boat from
Belize City once a week. Fishing and snorkeling can be done right from our front yard;
sunrises, sunsets, and moonsets are brilliant with the lights of Belize City in the
background.  See Earthwatcher Jeff Rees' Photo Gallery
(http://webpages.charter.net/jrees/manatees_in_belize_001.htm) for images.

Compensation:  This is a volunteer position and the intern will be expected to purchase
their own airfare to Belize.  While at our camp, living expenses (room and board) will be
provided.  The intern will have time to travel around Belize (at his/her own expense)
between Earthwatch Teams, if he or she desires.

To Apply:  Submit a cover letter expressing your interest in our project, a CV (or resume)
and three references (names, telephone numbers, and email addresses) by email (PREFERRED),
mail or fax to be received by December 15, 2001 to:

Caryn Self Sullivan
MAIL:  200 Stonewall Drive
Fredericksburg, Virginia 22401
FAX:  540-373-6035

Acknowledgments:  Spanish Bay Resort and the Earthwatch Institute provide financial
support for our Logistics Internships. We are extremely grateful for their help in
providing internship opportunities.

(c) 2000-2001 Sirenian International, Inc., http://www.sirenian.org
SNAIL MAIL TO: Sirenian International, Inc., 200 Stonewall Drive, Fredericksburg, VA 22401
USA
Sirenian International, Inc. is a non-profit, tax-exempt 501(c)(3) corporation.  All
contributions are tax deductible within the limits of the law.