This problem came up for a dyslexic student a few years ago. We had to resolve it by clarifying precisely why the recording was necessary [ the acute short term memory difficulty in this case] and by providing assurances about what would happen to the recordings afterwards. If this occurred now we would use one of our trained  notetakers. This is less disconcerting for the other students.
Margaret

>>> [log in to unmask] 10/04/01 09:14am >>>
I would be very grateful for help with what is as new problem for us.

I have a student with MS who is doing a BA in Fine Arts he finds writing
difficult and has been given a tape recorder as part of his DSA.
The tutors and students are OK with him taping lectures but do have some
difficulties with him taping 'crits' and discussions as they feel inhibited
especially as they discuss each others work.

Are there any guidelines on this ? I have suggested that it is raised in a
group session with in the class and some level of compromise reached - but I
would be grateful for some advice.