But international hearing students have access to English courses and
international Deaf students do not. To apply the same ruling is thus
discriminatory and does not provide equality of access to courses. So,
to remove barriers to learning it might be appropriate to seek an
interpreter into the native SL. However, it would be equally
appropriate to provide a crash course in the SL of the host country: we
have done this for Norwegian Deaf students and it works!

ATB

Claire

On Tue, 20 Nov 2001 13:55:46 +0000 BRYAN JONES <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> International students are taught in British English and are
> expected to have the necessary standard of English in order to get
> a place the course in the first place.  It is conceivable that an
> international deaf student could appear and require signing support,
> but then they would not necessarily sign using BSL, probably
> wouldn't in fact.  As lectures are not translated into, for example,
> Cantonese for Chinese students a deaf Chinese student could not
> expect to have access to a Chinese signer.
>

> On 19 Nov 01, at 16:57, Jannine Williams wrote:
>
> > Does anyone have any thoughts on supporting international students who usesign language?  Would language support seem reasonable (even though the cost
> > can run into thousands of pounds)?
> >
> > Jannine Williams
> >
> > Jannine Williams
> > Co-ordinator for Deaf and Hearing Impaired Students
> > University of Northumbria
> > Student Services
> > Library Building
> > Newcastle upon Tyne
> > NE1 8ST
> >
> > Telephone; 0191 227 3572
> > Textphone; 0191 222 1051
> > Fax;             0191 227 4553
> >
> > also at;
> >
> > Disability Unit
> > University of Newcastle
> > Robinson Library
> > Room 201
> > Newcastle upon Tyne
> > NE2
> >
> > Telephone;  0191 222 7623
> > Textphone;  0191 222 5545

----------------------
Claire Wickham
Director: Access Unit - Short Courses and Outreach
University of Bristol
Union Building
Queen's Road
Clifton