I'm trying to find out more about the type of support offered by
universities for the personal care needs of disabled students. We only
provide academic support at present but want to prepare ourselves to
provide personal support as well.

I have a copy of SKILL's guidelines for students on personal
assistance, which describe the different institutional and individual
approaches and the funding possibilities. I've also contacted the
following universities direct for details of how their support
operates: Coventry, East Anglia, Essex, Lancaster, Nottingham and
Sheffield Hallam.

Does anyone else provide personal support? If so, I'd be grateful for
information about how your scheme operates, in particular:

How long have you been offering this type of support?
How many students use the service?
Who provides the service - CSVs/other outside agencies?
Which department/member of staff is responsible for managing it?
How are payments dealt with?
What contingency arrangements are there for sickness/holiday absences?
What is the situation with international students - who pays for care?
Have you encountered any difficulties with the scheme?

Many thanks.

Susan Butler