This topic keeps coming every so often, In most cases I try to
dissuade people from trying this because it tends to be an
aggravating experience and doesn't always work.

I have also found that it takes at least half an hour to create a user
using a portable device and up to two and half hours for the student
yesterday using the dragon naturally speaking and a Voiceit
recorder yesterday, unlike the 10 to 15mins for a standard mic
user.

I would try and get the lecturer to use the headset mic directly into
the minidisc recorder as it will help to keep the sound levels more
constant but trying to keep the lecture on track and other students
from asking questions may prove a bit inconvenient.

Just a thought, wouldn't it be easier just to get the lecturer to give
the students a complete set of his notes because that's what you
are trying to achieve.

As for transferring voice files, I have found it reasonably easy to
transfer uses from machine to machine using Viavoice but there is
not, as far as I know, a way to transfer user files between
machines with Dragon (though if there is, could someone let me
know).

Graham Rice, Technician

Computer Centre for People with Disabilities
University of Westminster
72 Great Portland Street
London W1N 5AL

** The Central London Access Centre **

Tel: +44 020 7915 5428
Fax: +44 020 7911 5162

http://www.wmin.ac.uk/ccpd/

only and may be confidential.  If they have come to you in error you
must not copy or show them to anyone, nor should you take any
action based on them, other than to notify the error by replying to
the sender.